It is Friday so we are all pretty happy about things over here.
I give her a hand tickle/scratch..
And then she gives me one and she is pretty darn good at it too.
We were over at my parents’ house last night and my dad just so happened to bring home take-out while we were there. Sweet and sour chicken and orange chicken—> the best Chinese food dishes in my opinion.
After dinner I tried broccolini for the first time ever. My sweet friend added some coconut oil and Lowry’s seasoning to it before baking it and it was bomb.
Also, this dressing is kind of amazing…
LOVED seeing Corrinne and her Sarah in their shirts!
My Friday Favorite this week—> THESE bracelets… I just want a million of them.
I started running when I was 12 years old with my sister and continued to run a bit through high school and college but we are talking maybe 1-2 times a week. I thought running was fun but I was much more into spin, the elliptical, tennis and pump classes during those years. It wasn’t until I signed up for my first marathon (in 2010 ) that I really got into running. I started running 4-6 times a week while training for my first marathon and have continued to do so since then (unless I am injured). That first marathon is when I fell in love (well, a weird love/pain relationship;) with running.
Races are huge motivators for me. They are a big reason why I run. I love having a training plan. Races give me a goal, something to work towards and the feeling of accomplishment. I love the confidence that I get from the hard workouts and races. Training for races is one of the things that really helps to get me out of bed in the morning to run.
Because I have a race tomorrow I thought I’d tell you guys some of the reasons why I love to race and I would LOVE to hear your reasons too!
1. I love race expos. You get to walk around a huge area full of all things running. The energy at a race expo is incredible and they always pump me up for the next morning.
2. Those magic races where everything goes as planned—> that feeling. Love.
3. A lot of times I run into friends that I haven’t seen for a while in the finish line area. We get the chance to catch up on life, give each other big sweaty hugs and talk a million miles a minute about how the race went.
4. That feeling of giving your all. I don’t know why I love it so much but I love just sitting on the grass after finishing a race and feeling completely exhausted.
5. I usually buy something new (like a pair of shorts or tank) to wear on race day (well, I wear it a few times before the actually race to make sure it works well). I have a small addiction to running clothes and a race is a great reason to buy something new right?
6. Races are the best way to see an area. Nothing like exploring a new city than by running through it.
Boston, I love you dearly.
7. The treats/food at the finish line. You knew I was going to say that one.
8. I get to unleash my competitive side a bit. If I don’t race often enough then my competitive side comes out during board games with friends and family and that just isn’t pretty.
9. Races just simplify running a bit. They take care of my hydration and a lot of times my nutrition (free GUs….). They have a perfectly planned out route that is closed to traffic and crowds along the way to give me a boost of energy just when I need it. I just have to run, they take care of the rest.
10. Seeing your loved ones along the way or at the finish line. Races bring out all sorts of emotions in me (especially during the marathon) and I usually cry whenever I see my family/close friends because of that whole gratitude thing:)
11. I get to be surrounded by a bunch of other people that are just as obsessed as I am with running. We just all get each other.
12. Races stretch me. They test me. They make me get out of that comfort zone and help me to grow. I learn something new about myself during each and every race. During races we get to prove to ourselves that we can do hard things:)
13. Races inspire me. Seeing all of the other runners out there (no matter what pace they are going) and knowing they all have their stories of how they got there—> that inspires me. Crossing the finish line of one race inspires me to choose a new goal and work even harder towards it.
What do you love about races?
Do you like Chinese food? Favorite dishes?
Are there any vegetables that you have never tried before?
Type of salad dressing that you use most often… any Trader Joe’s favorites?