1. THE BEST PART OF OUR SATURDAY:
2. Another week of training in the books and a rest day today!
3. Programming your workout into your garmin is life-changing. Okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration but really, it was amazing to have it all there on my watch without having to push the lap button a million times or figure out how far 500m is for my recoveries etc. It was also so nice to have it tell me how many intervals I had already done (in below picture I had done 6 out of the 8) because it is hard to remember how many you have done during the workout. I explained in this post how to program your workouts into your watch.
2 mile w/u, 8 x 30 seconds at 6:00 pace, 2 mile c/d. 7.17 miles total @ 8:04 average pace. It was 65 degrees out for my run (I slept in later than normal and it felt amazing and I still got home before everyone else was awake wahoo). It felt pretty good so I think my body is adapting to warmer temperatures (I know all of your Floridians/others living in actually hot places) are shaking your head and laughing at me;).
4. I got home and talked to a few of you in the comments and then we were off for a hiking trip. Skye was pretty excited to go out for the day.
5. We met three of my good friends and their families to go up AF Canyon to hike to Silver Lake. Andrew did this hike before he knew me. He has told me about how much he loved it so I was excited to try it out. This was the start of the hike:
6. We had ELEVEN kids with us total so there were plenty of rest breaks, snack breaks and insect scares… I was amazed at how well they all did because it was a tough hike.
7. Skye slept for most of the way up and most of the way down. We are obsessed with her pack and I think she is a fan too.
8. Once we got to the top we ate sandwiches and snacks that we brought from home (a great reminder of how amazing pb/jelly sandwiches are) and someone brought out the swedish fish… These used to be my favorite candy on the planet and I blogged about them 3 times a week on average. They are no longer my favorite nor do I ever really think about them but they are still delicious.
9. The crew.
10. I was so proud of Brooke. I couldn’t believe how well she did on this hike. It was about 5 miles round trip and she did the entire thing (minus Andrew lifting her over some rocks a few times and across the river… ps I think my feet are going to look like prunes for at least three days after that). There was about 1400ft elevation gain in the first 2.5 miles too. Her biggest motivation was keeping track of dogs along the way (she saw a grand total of 31) and she even told me she is going to still hike with me when she has kids.
11. This is one thing I cannot understand about Andrew… His desire to jump into freezing cold water (THAT IS SNOW). He was in there for about a minute too. I do not get it.
12. We were out in the mountains for over 5 hours and more than ready for some ice cream afterwards!
13. Brooke was a huge fan of this ice cream place but Andrew and I were not but it was fun trying a new place.
We were all more than ready for showers and bedtime when we got home. This summer is already off to a great start with as much time outdoors as possible.
Here’s how last week’s workouts went!
Monday: 6 miles @ 8:16 average pace.
Tuesday: 8.92 miles total @ 7:45 average pace. 2 mile w/u, 3 x 1 mile @ threshold (6:50, 6:49 & 6:48) w/ 200m recoveries after each mile (which was tricky because it’s just about a minute of easy running before you start again), 3 minute walking break (I stopped my garmin for this part but had it going for everything else), 6 x 30 seconds FAST (5:54 average pace for those) w/90 second slow jog recoveries after each one, 2 mile c/d.
Wednesday: 5 miles @ 8:48 average pace.
Thursday: 6 miles @ 8:40 average pace. Resistance band work.
Friday: 5 miles @ 8:45 average pace with Josse and then a strength class afterwards (I hit my goal of going to two strength classes this week wahoo).
Saturday: 2 mile w/u, 8 x 30 seconds fast (6:00ish average pace) w/ 500 meter recoveries, 2 mile c/d. 7.16 miles total average pace 8:04.
38.08 miles total for the week + 2 strength classes!
What are you up to today?
What was your best run last week? Hardest run?
Favorite hiking snack?