This morning was another great spin class. Good thing that my muscles warmed up after a few minutes because I am experiencing major DOMS in my legs and bootay after yesterday’s pump class. Isn’t it kind of sick how much we enjoy feeling sore? It means we had an awesome workout.
Currently (aka this hour and in 20 minutes my roller-coaster personality will change to something else) I am feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of stuff on my plate (it feels like there is more stuff on there than my all you can eat salad bar plate). They are all good things on my plate but sometimes that can be the problem.
We can have TOO many great things going on and after a while we become fatigued and want to just crawl in bed for 8 centuries rather than face all that we have to do. Plus, let’s be honest…it is probably just one of those crazy hormonal girl days so bare with me.
Sometimes I just need to write out what I need to do because then it forces me to do it so…..
How to help yourself not be so overwhelmed that you feel like your head is going to explode the minute you wake up.
1. Say No To Something. Prioritize what really matters to you and say no to the things that don’t really matter and you don’t have time for. No one will hate you especially if you explain to them WHY you are saying no.
2. Eat Better. When I get ultra busy I tend to eat even more simple carbohydrates than I normally do which ends up turning into a headache and sugar crash. Making better choices always ends in a happier Janae. Eat your vegetables Janae…does corn count as a vegetable?
I need to build one of these into my house. (Billy, get to work)
3. Get your yoga on. Tonight 6:30 p.m. I am having a date with my yoga mat and going to a BYU class.
4. Look at the big picture. Think about the WHYs of what you are doing? Sometimes when I feel overwhelmed with work I remember that I am working my very hardest for me and Billy’s future and to get him through school, it makes me want to work even harder when I look at things long term rather than just being stressed that day. At the same time it helps to just take things day by day…I can’t decide which I like better:) It really helps me to feel less overwhelmed when I change my perspective on things….rather than looking at a situation as stressful and worrying about it, look at it with a new pair of glasses and see it for what it really is. Be optimistic about the world. It is kind of funny because I think a large part of our stress levels have to do with the way we view the world.
5. Simplify. Unplug from electronics for a little while, try not to multi-task and just focus on the task at hand.
6. Run….of course….that is a no brainer:) Do something that YOU enjoy and something that is your ME time, EVERY single day.
7. As much as I complain about showering it really does make me feel better. Getting ready and wearing real people clothes (with less than 3 stains) helps me operate better and work better.
8. Realize that everything doesn’t have to be done perfectly, some things you can definitely compromise on.
9. Serve somebody else. I don’t know why I always forget this one because it is is so helpful. As soon as I start focusing on fixing/helping someone else with their problems rather than what I have going on, I feel so much better…kind of like that runners high ya know? I think endorphins are released when we help others.
10. Eat some chocolate: Another picture that my sister sent….Milky Way cake. Now she just needs to make it for me. How about Sunday sissy? (She better be reading the blog today). It only calls for 11 full Milky Way bars….oh wait, doesn’t this contradict my second point?
What helps you the most when you are feeling overwhelmed? Does that happen to you often?
When was the last time you did yoga? Does it help you with your stress? What type of yoga is your favorite? Do you want to do yoga more? What was the last song you listened to? Can you remember?
Besides exercise, what is something that you try to do every day that YOU enjoy?
-Watch an episode of a hilarious tv show right before bed…i.e. The Office, we have almost every episode memorized by now.