So, here goes…..I am human. Saturday morning I taught my spin class and then had on my plan to get at least eight miles done. I went and stood on the treadmill and couldn’t push the start button. I started crying. Stupid estrogen mixed with not having candy for a week.
I had ZERO motivation. All of the sudden I was telling myself that there is no way I will be able to hit my 6:49 per minute mile goal pace for Boston when I am training at least 35 seconds slower than that and most of the time even more than that.
I left the gym.
(This is an old picture… no pictures of me crying, I was a mess).
How I Found My Running Motivation Again and Got Over Feeling Sorry For Myself:
1. Be proactive about your fears. We got together an awesome training plan that I will be using mainly for the tempo/pace and hill runs. I have been focusing way too much on quantity of miles and not the quality of miles.
2. Read about running/exercise and how to improve yourself. I turned to my book that my cute friend Pam gave me, “Run Fast. ” I started getting excited again.
3. Watch youtube movies.
I know that sounds silly but it worked for me. I watched 28 different motivational and informational youtube clips about the Boston marathon and I researched every little detail about the elevation, hills and course.I even watched this video to help me feel more prepared. (it shows the whole course in 8 minutes.
4. My motivation and love for running came back just by talking to someone about my fears. Sometimes I bottle them up and keep them to myself but it felt so good to get them out in the open. If you don’t have anyone that wants to hear about your running, please email me…..I WOULD LOVE TO LISTEN and HELP:) It feels good to post this right now because you guys are my good friends and it makes me happy to tell you how I feel.
5. Eat a nutritious meal. I think I was hungry and eating a protein filled lunch helped me think more clearly and feel more energized.
Grilled tilapia, roasted broccoli and an egg wrap.
6. Remember the reasons why you love doing what you do. Give yourself a break, we all feel frustration and lack of motivation…..these ‘bad’ days make the GOOD RUNS that amazing, thrilling and addicting.
What do you do when you lose running/exercise/eating healthy motivation?
-Let’s come up with a HUGE list of things K? We can all help each other out in the comments!!
How often do you use youtube?
-Um, every day of my life!
Favorite protein source?