This is a question that I get a lot because for most people, the treadmill= torture.
10 things that keep me happy (most of the time) and entertained on the treadmill:
(You know you have too much free time when you make a collage of pictures of yourself with the treadmill)
1. I have never CHOSEN to run on the treadmill over running outside BUT a lot of times it is my only choice. There are many days where I don’t have a babysitter or it is dark and I don’t have anyone to run with and so the treadmill is my only option. Sometimes there is just way too much ice and because I fall walking on dry ground quite often.. It is just a good idea for me to take it inside when there is ice. Running on a treadmill > (much greater than) not running at all. So, whenever I do find myself complaining about being stuck indoors, I remind myself that running on the treadmill is a million times better than having to skip a run.
2. I know that treadmill running builds mental strength. Running on a treadmill helps to make me mentally strong which is going to be one of my secret weapons at Boston:) Running on the treadmill is tough and pushing through that makes me mentally stronger. It also makes me appreciate those outdoor (and especially trail) runs even more.
3. I play around with the settings like you wouldn’t believe. Hmmmm, the next two minutes I will bump it to a 3% incline and then back to the 1% incline and then I will go .4 miles per hour faster for 2.5 minutes etc. etc. etc. Pushing the buttons and switching up my speed and ‘hills’ makes it quite entertaining.
4. People watch. You have to admit, it is very entertaining to do this at the gym.
5. When I am doing an easy/recovery run and my pace is slower for me, I am able to read on my iPad and I love that. It is so nice to be able to catch up on some books and it takes my mind off of the fact that I am running in place for an extended amount of time.
6. Music. I have about 15 of my absolute favorite songs that I have on a specific playlist that I only use while on the treadmill. This treadmill playlist makes me excited to jump on and I don’t get sick of the songs because I only listen to them on the treadmill.
7. I think about my running goals. For me, using the treadmill is part of the way that I am able to continue to run so that I CAN get those goals I have running around in my brain.
8. My latest favorite has been watching music videos (aka Bruno Mars on repeat… there is just something about him) via Youtube on my iPad while I run.
9. People may disagree with me but I think that the treadmill TEACHES you how to pace yourself. I love doing speed on a treadmill because it teaches my body what it feels like to stick at a certain pace. You can’t slow down unless you actually press the buttons to do so and I am much too stubborn to push the down button when I have .25 miles left in my mile repeats etc.
10. I just think. I don’t know if it is because the other 23 hours of the day are revolved around Brooke and when she is napping then I am blogging, BUT it is so nice to just have some time on the treadmill to think. I can get lost in my thoughts and not have to worry about a route, cars, where I can get some water etc.
PS I am pretty stoked cause I just moved in my spin bike into my apartment so I can get in some spin workouts in the early mornings (I wish my treadmill could fit too!)
The majority of church with a 2 year old= hanging out in the hall. It’s the thought that counts right?!
During nap time I turned on a Will Ferrell Christmas movie and got my wrapping game on.
Candice caught wind that my mom was out of town so she took over on Sunday dinner duty and brought me over this amazingness.
Tradition #14= The Christmas Classics, my bed and pajamas. Sometimes the simplest traditions are by far my favorite.
How do you not die of boredom on the treadmill?
Do you usually run faster or slower on the treadmill vs. outside?
What was your favorite part about your weekend?