I didn’t sleep for some weird reason but both girls slept like champs even if Skye’s facial expressions states something differently. I was awake from 1-5?! Does that ever happen to you? Normally I am out cold but I woke up and tried everything in the books to fall asleep but my brain wouldn’t stop.
Brooke always makes sure that Beretta is very comfortable before she goes to school.
Nap time rolled around for Skye (Andrew was home) and I took it to the trails with Beretta.
We went out for 9 miles and when I was almost to my car I was at a 9:03 average pace so I sped up to try to get 9.00 miles @ 9:00. <— The weird things we do when it comes to our running stats. Also, Beretta would have preferred if we did this at a 7:00 pace.
5 facts about Beretta when she is on the trails:
1. She 1000% prefers the trails vs the roads. On the roads she attempts to pull me for the first mile and gets so frustrated that I’m not as fast as her the entire time ha. On the trails she can sprint, stop and sniff things and then repeat that over and over again for the entire run. She loves not having a leash on and the exploration part of trail running.
2. Beretta loves to run about 10-15 ft ahead of me but whenever we come to a place on the trail where there are multiple options on which way to go she stops and waits for me to show her which way to go. She pays attention to where I am at the entire time which makes it very easy to go together.
3. If she gets stuck behind me on a single track portion of the trail she practically jumps over my head to get ahead again. Her competitive side is unreal.
4. Beretta coming across snow for her to eat during the run is comparable to me coming across my mom’s lasagna during a run and being able to stop and eat it. She gets so excited. PS I wonder if my mom will make us lasagna to eat at one of the aid stations on our 50 miler?
5. Her tail was wagging with each step she took… even as she was going up some steep uphills. She always reminds me how much fun running really is.
Maybe one of the main reasons I really want to do this ultra is because it is an automatic PR:) My PR in October felt so good I just really want another one asap that is guaranteed!
Something I was thinking about a lot during my run yesterday—> It’s awesome that we train for races and get out the door to reach new distances, speeds and strength BUT I think the really cool part is that we do this with everything else going on in our lives at the time! It’s easy to get out and run when we don’t have anything else going on and we wake up from a perfect 9 hours of sleep but how often does that happen for any of us? We train with the rest of life piled on top of everything. Whether that’s taking care of sick kids, stressful projects at work, a to-do list a mile long and still getting out to take care of ourselves or being exhausted from life and still training… making time for it when we don’t have a lot of time, that makes me feel proud for all of us:)
And Maybe your running isn’t going as well as you wish it was right now and you are being hard on yourself—> Stop that and be proud of what you are doing along with everything else going on in your life… that’s pretty awesome that you are out there no matter what pace/distance/what you used to do.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is quite the page turner… Skye couldn’t wait to see what happened next.
Working on our dribbling skills.
And playing Skye’s current favorite game, superman.
We got to have my sister’s girls over for a bit.
And then I got to go enjoy an ice cream bar with a group from my church. I just got a new calling to teach the 8 year olds at church and I cannot wait.
Ice cream bars are always a good idea.
This is how Skye sleeps every night. I love checking on the kids at night (even though there is a camera in Skye’s room I like to go in and see her too). I don’t know if she will ever be able to sleep without her binky!
Do you have problems sleeping? Often or rarely? Is it hard for you to fall asleep in the first place or do you wake up?
-Andrew’s least favorite part of the day is trying to fall asleep (it takes him forever) and I’m usually out within a minute but every now and then I’ll wake up during the night and worry about all of the things on the planet that I have zero control over.
Are you a competitive person? In everything or only certain things?
What is your workout today? I wanna hear about it.
What was your last automatic PR (aka the last time you did a race distance for the very first time)?