It seems like EVERYBODY raced this weekend and everybody is wearing their PRO Compression St. Patrick’s Day socks while they race (I wore mine to watch 3 episodes of King of Queens this morning, does that count).
It got me thinking about what factors runners take into account when signing up for races!
I am going to list a bunch of different factors and in the comments I want you to tell me the TOP 3 FACTORS that you consider when choosing what races to run!
1. Friends. Do you take into account whether or not you have friends that are racing the course too? Does that make you more likely to sign up for the race?
2. The price of the race. Does the price of the race determine if you will race it?
(One months teaching salary was used to pay for this race;)
3. The LOCATION!! Is it close by? Is it somewhere that you have always wanted to travel to? Has the race always been on your bucket list?
4. Level of difficulty! Is it a course that is going to get me a personal record? Do you sign up for a race because you have heard it is an ‘easy/flat/fast’ course?
5. Race distance. Is the distance of the race what determines whether or not you will do it? (I have a phobia about 5ks)
6. Competitions at the race. Does knowing you could place or age group place determine your desire to sign up for a specific race? What about the size of the race…. do you prefer running smaller races or big races?
7. A beautiful course? Do you sign up for a race because you know that course is going to be outrageously beautiful and take your mind off of the fact that you want to pass out because you are so tired?
8. Shirts, the medals and cool SWAG! Do you factor in the cool stuff that you get for doing the race into actually signing up for a race?
9. THEME RACES? Do holiday races, mud runs, color runs etc. make you more likely to sign up for one?
10. OTHER (please specify)
What are the top three things that you take into consideration when signing up for a race?