A Post on My Religion and Beliefs + Sunday Pictures!

Good morning everyone!  Today I am talking about religion and tomorrow I’ll be back with running/randomness talk again!

I’ve been blogging for over 8 years now and this is my first post dedicated to talking about my religion.  Crazy, right?  I’ve never wanted to come off as preachy or like I was forcing my thoughts on you but rather have shared that my family and my religion are the most important things in my world with you.   I have had many people request that I share more so instead of seeing this as preachy, see this as some random girl sharing something very important to her.  It’s also kind of scary to talk on the internet about something that is so near and dear to you… SO I would love to ask for respectful comments and healthy conversations about this kind of stuff in the comments.  I would love nothing more than to hear your thoughts, experiences and beliefs on religion and the most important things in your world.  I think it is so important to be open-minded so let’s all do that together:)

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  My parents both grew up in Southern California, got married when they were 19 and had my oldest brother Greg when they were 22.   A couple of years later they were  introduced to this church.  At the time my dad was working as an engineer with a few members of the church and started asking them a lot of questions so they had the missionaries over to teach them.  They studied, learned and prayed a lot to find what was right for them.  Then they were baptized and have been strong members of our church ever since along with all five of their children and their spouses.

I was baptized when I was eight years old to become a member of our church (we believe that when a child is eight they can make the decision to be baptized and they are at the age of accountability).   I attended church weekly and as a teenager went to weekly activities with my church group too. <— This is what I used to do every Wednesday night as a leader of the Young Women in my last area (I haven’t gotten a new calling quite yet at our new house).  In high school I attended seminary which was a class that I had daily (during school.. in many places it is before school too) to learn more about Jesus Christ and the scriptures.  I remember that class feeling so safe and peaceful during those crazy years as a teenager.  I went to Brigham Young University for college and had an amazing experience at this school being able to get my degree along with taking religion classes to learn and study more.  Church was always very important to me but I remember it becoming even more of my center when Brooke was born especially.  I remember from that point forward feeling stronger and stronger about my religion and spending more time than ever learning and thinking about the kind of life I wanted to live and what I truly believed.

There are a few things that I thought I would share and if you have anything else you would like me to talk about, please ask in the comments!

*The Plan of Salvation!  I believe that our Heavenly Father created a plan for us and why we are here is part of that plan and along with where we were before this life and where we will go after this life.  I’ll just include this paragraph because this is the exact base of everything that I believe in.  The family is central to God’s plan and I bet you can tell through my blog that I 100% feel that way.  You can read much more about it here!

Screen Shot 2018 07 27 at 1 04 36 PM

LRG DSC03502

*The temple is the most sacred place for us as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and there are many things that we don’t talk about outside of the temple.  The first time I went to the temple I was 22 years old.  My entire family was there and it was an incredible experience for me.  I remember after my divorce, I was there weekly because it was such a healing place for me.  There is no other time in my life that I feel as peaceful as I do in the temple.  One of my biggest goals in life is to make my home feel that same type of peace for our kids to feel each day.  I hope that they feel the safety, comfort and love in our home that helps them to cope with any problems that come to their life.   I wear garments (under my clothing) which I started wearing the first time I went through the temple.  These garments are a constant reminder of the promises that we have made with our Heavenly Father in the temple.  It is a way that I show my Savior the commitments I have made and I wear them at all times outside of swimming, working out (and things like that:).  Andrew and I were sealed in the temple which is a sacred ceremony where Andrew and I made promises to each other and to God.  We believe that we will be together after death too.. our family will be together for eternity.  There are currently 159 operating temples around the world along with 11 under construction and 31 that have been announced to be built.

IMG 9156 JPGED905159 5921 4555 AFC8 F3BB7318481D

*I believe that the Book of Mormon is true scripture from Heavenly Father.  It is a book that has taught and continues to teach me so much about Christ.  The feelings I feel while reading have helped me get through some seriously tough times.  It has been a guide for many of the choices I have made and I love this book.  It is something that I try to read personally each day along with a few versus each day as a family too.  We also believe the Bible to be scripture from Heavenly Father and study it at church and at home.

*We do not drink alcohol (I never have and neither has Andrew), we take Sunday as a day of rest (we don’t shop, eat out (unless traveling) etc but we do spend the day with our families and resting), we pay 10% of our income as tithing, we fast once a month and donate the money we would have spent (for three meals) to humanitarian aid, we serve in callings in our church and believe that when we serve others we are also serving our God, we pray often and so much more.

*We believe that we have a prophet on the earth today.  President Russel M Nelson.  Twice a year our church holds a General Conference where we get to hear from our prophet and many of his apostles and other leaders in our church.  There are also many other devotionals, articles and magazines throughout the year that include lessons and talks from these leaders which I love.  I thought I would link to a few of my favorite church talks—> Here, here, herehere, herehere, here, here and here.

*Prayer is absolutely essential for me.  Building a relationship with my Heavenly Father through the good, bad and medium parts of life is everything.  I won’t share super personal stories but I do remember one time on a run I prayed to feel loved.  I had never felt so alone as I did at that time and felt like I was at rock bottom.  I prayed to just feel like I mattered to Him.  Within 30 seconds a van pulled up honking with my friend from a completely different city smiling as big as can be and ready for me to talk her ear off.  I believe that prayer is real.

I absolutely do not have all of the answers to everything about religion but I do know my feelings and I can never deny those.  I know the peace that I feel when I make good choices.  I know the joy that comes from my hope through Christ.  I cannot deny how I feel when I read or hear something in regards to the importance of families.  I believe with every ounce of who I am that we will be able to be with our families forever.  I believe that after this life we will be with our Heavenly Father again and I want to do everything I can to live a life full of decisions that will help me to return to Him.

I know that my Heavenly Father loves me completely.  During the absolute darkest times in my life I have felt an overwhelming amount of love from Him.  I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that I will be able to return to Him.

**PLEASE KNOW that I 100000% respect and love whatever you believe and know to be right for you and the people in your world.  I just wanted to share a different side of me that I don’t usually showcase as much besides mentioning that we go to church each week and visit the temple etc.   As I push publish on this post I am insanely nervous but also feel so much relief and comfort sharing the things that I believe and feel are right for me and my family.

If you are interested in learning more, I would love to connect you with missionaries!  Just leave a comment on this post if you would like to learn more and I’ll email you!  You can also visit here to talk more with missionaries.

—————————————————————————————————————–

And 13 pictures from our day:

*Andrew has become quite good at doing Brooke’s hair.

*They spend a good amount of time just swinging and catching up on important topics.

*We went to church.

*Later on our family all came over for dinner!

*Chicken Cream Cheese Chili for dinner (<— we also add a couple cans of tomato soup to the mix).

*Along with plenty of our favorite chips.

*And my sister brought delicious rolls (Sam’s Club dough with some butter on top).

*My nephew thought he was Harry Potter.

*And we enjoyed some perfect temperatures.

*My mom made caramel apples with the kids for our dessert.

*And the kid’s decorated sugar cookies too.

*I’m so sorry to my Kentucky brother and Andrew for the Dodger’s loss.

*Today we will be finishing up this room (hopefully)… and I’ll have a house tour (of the main rooms) for you tomorrow!

*PS I couldn’t stop thinking about how Skye is almost ELEVEN MONTHS OLD… how did that happen?

—————————————————————————————————————–

Share any thoughts that you have on any of this stuff!  I would love to hear what matters most to YOU!

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Favorite type of soup?

Who is running NYCM?!  Tell me so I can send you some good luck:)  Who has done or who is doing a Halloween themed run this year?

Are you dressing up for Halloween this year?

You May Also Like

319 comments

What a beautiful post. I love learning about other’s religious beliefs. I am Catholic and attend Mass every Sunday with my daughter. I do have to be honest and say that I turned away from my faith after my husband left me. I felt confused, angry, unloved and unworthy. I am in awe over how you became more devoted to your faith after your divorce. I have found my way back and I live a much fuller life with Christ in it. Through my faith I’ve learned I am loved and I am worthy. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful post with us.

I really enjoyed learning more about your faith, which is very clearly something you hold dear to you and that comes through in a lot of your posts! I’m also so happy and amazed to see so many positive comments <3

I am a Christian but don’t feel I belong to any specific church right now as I haven’t yet found one that really speaks to my heart and soul. However, I do feel I have a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father and pray often as well – knowing Him and His love, and His promise of everlasting life brings me a lot of peace.

Thank you for writing this, Janae. So often we are told not to discuss politics and religion, and that it’s not polite to do so, but I disagree. The horrific religious violence of the past weekend reinforced that for me; it’s through sharing who we are and what we believe honestly and kindly that we remember that we are all, essentially, the same.
Your faith is not the same as mine, and mine is not the same as yours, but I am so glad that your faith brings you comfort and peace, just as my faith brings me the same. May we all be more willing to share who we are with the world, and break down the walls between “us” and “them.”
No matter our individual beliefs or expression of those beliefs, we are all united through our humanity and I appreciated this glimpse into your beautiful life.

YES! This. I 100% agree with everything Laura said above. I was going to leave my own comment, but this one so much more eloquently says everything I was thinking.

Thank you for sharing, Janae. I know how hard it can be to put yourself out there.

I live near Nauvoo and went to high school across the river in Ft. Madison. I remember touring the temple when it was first built and open to the public. It is beautiful! Thanks for sharing about your faith. :)

Hi Janae, just curious…In your post you said, “I 100000% respect and love whatever you believe and know to be right for you and the people in your world” and someone commented…

“So you are saying that your religion is a very personal thing that you believe but not an absolute truth! That makes so much more sense to me now. It goes along with the worldview that “whatever works for you is good and true.”

I think most religions teach that their way is the absolute truth but it sounds like the Mormon’s believe whatever works for you is respected and good.”

Does the LDS in fact teach “whatever works for you is good and true?” I’m a Christian and do believe that truth is absolute. In that belief, I know the bible to be true and therefore any messsage contradicting the word of God false.
Just curious about this. I had had never heard that take before about Morman beliefs.

Also, thank you for sharing! We should never be ashamed ar afraid to share our beliefs.
Hope you’re having a great day

Thank you for pointing that out to me. When I said that “I love and respect whatever you believe and know to be right for you and the people in your world”, I truly meant that I am tolerant of other people’s beliefs and faith. I am so happy that they have something that works for them just like I have something that works for me. It is so important that we are all tolerant of each other’s beliefs. As far as my religion, yes, I do feel that the Gospel of Jesus Christ that we teach and try to live to the best of our abilities is true doctrine. I hope this clears that up for you. Thank you so much for your comment.

Hi

I just have tell you I found your blog by chance from a friend at work at a tumor board conference. Since then I have been following you and I am in complete awe of you! I am also a mom of four kiddos two from a previous marriage and two from my current. I relate so much with the blended family and going through divorce and how hard and lonely that was. You are such an inspiration!!! I am running my 12th marathon this weeekend in NYC and am so excited! I really enjoyed reading your last post about your religion, I am not Morman but many of my friends are. I agree with you that no matter your religion it is important to have something you believe in! Thank you for being so strong and incredible!

Hello Janae! I’ve been looking forward to this post. I think it’s super important to learn about all religions of the world. Thanks for taking the time of day to share. I’ll be googling Mormonism for a while. After this weekend, the idea that we all need to understand eachother remains more important than ever.

As far as my religious beliefs go, im a pagan and a serious vegan. I guess that sounds weird to lump in with religion, but core to my beliefs are that the universe is governed by powerful, natural forces, and that I need to respect the earth and all the “gods” that live here. I say Gods in quotes there because the concept of gods is more like forces, laws, not like a monotheistic God. I lump Veganism in with that because I do not believe I can live while consuming the suffering of others so it’s kind of similar to your fasting in the sense that it turns my mind to the gods (powerful forces of nature like animal life) at every single meal. I go into the woods and enjoy the silence at every season to connect.

Anyways, loved your blog for a while and thanks as always for sharing. My religious beliefs are also a huge part of who I am so why wouldn’t we all chat :)?

Best soup is tomato :) (or any other vegan soup!)

Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your beliefs! I really enjoyed hearing about your faith and I appreciate the timeliness of the post after what happened over the weekend. I grew up Jewish and my husband grew up Catholic, but neither of us have strong devotion to our religion as adults. But we have two kids and sometimes I wish it were a little more simple and I sometimes crave a more concrete structure of beliefs in my life. I think family and a sense of community are two of the most valuable aspects of religion, and I would love for my kids to experience that. Your post makes me think about how I want to instill certain values in my children and how having faith and religion are such strong ways to do that. I’ve read your blog for years and I greatly admire and appreciate your positivity (I loved listening to you on the Ali on the run podcast too!). Your faith is very refreshing because from what you share you seem to live your values and it truly makes you a stronger person. I guess what I mean to say is that I’m impressed by your devotion and how you carry your faith with you in all aspects of your life. I would love to emulate some of the ways you live your values and beliefs, even if they aren’t exactly the same. Thank you again and congrats on the sub 3!!

This is a beautiful post, thank you so much for sharing. I am a Lutheran in MN and believe God loves each of His children unconditionally, and that we are called to love one another as He loves us. Serving others serves Jesus and draws us closer to Him. Reading through your comments I see how we are more alike than different in our beliefs—how wonderful to know that in a world that appears so divided. Thank you for inspiring such good conversation.

Thank you Janae! I read you daily because of your positivity and just what a nice person I know you are :) I am Methodist and loved hearing your religious story. I 10000% believe anyone who believes in Jesus Christ will make this world a better place. Please know, You have much love coming your way!
And congrats on the Sub3!!

Janae! Way to put yourself out there. You are brave and it’s nice to have a glimpse into another aspect of your life.

I am Christian and grew up in a Baptist church, however I haven’t attended church in easily 5 or 6 years. My personal choice, and this is not to say I will never go back. Do you ever question Mormonism or feel yourself needing a personal break from the church for your own personal growth?

Also, I wanted to know what you meant when you said you haven’t gotten a new calling (for serving, I’m assuming) since moving to your new home…. does changing locations bring forth new callings? V curious. And I hope my questions are not coming off as offensive, I truly would like to know more. Thanks again for sharing:)

Your questions are great, not offensive at all. There was a time in my early 20’s where I was struggling with all sorts of things and wasn’t as active but I always knew it was true. When we moved we moved into a different ward/congregation. Everyone helps with the responsibilities in their ward such as teaching, music, leadership etc. so I will eventually be asked to help in some capacity. I love serving and helping others. I hope this answers your questions! Have a great week!

Thank you for sharing this Janae. I am thankful that we live in a time and in a country where we can all share our individual beliefs and truths. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing yours <3

Thanks, Janae, for sharing! We should discuss religion more openly in our society, seeking to listen and learn and share. Our differences should not scare us, but rather be occasions of great comversation! Thanks for being courageous – have loved reading people’s comments.

I am Catholic and my faith is my anchor and the anchor of my family. I too went to a religious university and loved the integration of the tenets of my faith into our campus culture and studies. I actually find running and my faith to inform one another so often. My best prayer time is out on the trails in God’s creation :)

Janae! This post was everything. As a fellow member of the Christ of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I really appreciate when others share our religion in a clear and simple way…which you did perfectly! I think our personal religions and beliefs should be able to be shared as easily as what our favorite color or food is :) and posts like this are a perfect example that it can be that simple. You weren’t preachy at all and explained everything very well. Thanks for always putting out great content!!

Aw, Janae, I love that you shared this personal topic with us! Thank you so much! I really enjoyed reading about it as it’s been clear all along that this is a huge part of your life. I love how important family is to you and that you said you feel like you are serving Christ when you serve others. I think that’s a great way to view it. I also think your story about praying for love and then getting an immediate response is so amazing!! How undeniable! You are such a sweet person and I’m so glad to know you through your blog! :)

Janae!! GREAT post! Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing so much with us. I learned quite a bit. I am a practicing Catholic and see a lot of similarities. You and your family are so special! God bless you!!

What a beautiful way to share your beliefs. I am always very interested to hear other peoples beliefs. I grew up in a very religious household and still hold to my faith strongly even though life has shown me many different ways as I have gotten older. I love to hear the absoluteness in how you feel. Thank you for sharing. I read your blog every day and I have for well over 5 years now and can see your realness. Beautiful family!!

Wow, loved this post! I am catholic and went to a Jesuit college where we always would discuss other religions, and I still enjoy learning about other religions. I loved hearing about your faith, and would love to get more insights like this. Have a great week :)

Interesting post. If we all stopped to learn from each other and respect others’ beliefs, this would be such a better world :). I truly believe that all religions share common themes and are actually more similar than they are different, even if the rituals may differ.

Thank you for sharing Janae. i thought I knew about this faith but apparently I did not. It certainly must be quite a challenge with a family and the temple garments(I googled this) and this lifestyle, but I am sure that it is a comfort as well. You are amazing.

Hi Janae!

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us! I am a cradle Catholic and quite a devoted one. I keep it underwraps, for the most part, because I do not want to offend people. But prayer – oh yes – it makes such a difference.

Thank you for being a great example to us for living out your faith!
Margaret

Wow, you received a lot of comments! I had one question but found the answer as I knew someone else would also ask it. :-)

I think spirituality is important and that we are not the center of the universe. I have been Roman Catholic, attended Lutheran Church, and received into the Episcopal Church. (I think Lutheran fits me and my beliefs best but none of these religions are very far apart in their core beliefs).

Working for a church for 15 years made me see a variety of view points and also that people, no matter who they are, are very similar under the skin. The politics of the church I worked for also dampened some of my enthusiasm for religion but not my core beliefs. (I pray and I believe, I just don’t always need to sit in a congregation to feel it. On the other hand, there are days that church is exactly where I need to be).

I have respect and interest for other religions. Thank you for sharing.

Hi
Thanks for sharing, one question if you don’t mind me asking, so you extended family, grandmother, aunt, cousin, etc are not member of your church?

I don’t mind you asking at all. Besides my parents,my siblings and my nieces and nephews, I do have one aunt that joined my church. She is the aunt that is a runner. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. all have their own religions and beliefs. We have a wonderful mixture but all of us believe in the same basic concept of love, prayer, kindness, faith and God. I hope you have a great week!

JANAE!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I think as bloggers we sometimes think we have to keep our personal life private for the sake of offending others. Yes, i would never want to offend anyone but I think sharing your faith is so incredibly important. I love that we both share the love of Jesus Christ in our own personal lives but also in our families.
Thank you for being so vulnerable and opening up. I grew up in church my whole life. I was raised in the Baptist church. Unfortunatly over time that church that I was raised in since birth really took a turn for the worse and started focusing more on rules then God. My family left that church when I was 13 and it was crippling. We all knew it was the right decision but that the same time it was scary. God directed us to our next church, again baptist but focused more on the inside and not of the outside. As my faith grew deeper and I got older I knew that the baptist church would not be where i would stay for my life. After college, I started going to a non-demoninational church. And now this is the type of church my husband and i go to and we will raise our family in. We have truly found our home church and its so wonderful. We are involved in different ministries and its so good for us as a couple! God is good all the time even when it doesn’t always feel good!
I could go on and on but I will stop here! Again. Thank you for sharing your heart!

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am so glad that you have found the perfect church for your family. It is so great to learn about so many different religions so we can realize how similar our experiences really are. I hope you have a great week!

I rarely ever comment but found this post so moving I had to respond. In a time when there is so much wrong in the world it’s so wonderful to see such acceptance and love in your post about your own religious beliefs and all of the respect in the responses. I am Jewish and can see many similarities in our core values. I think right now it’s so important to show, as you have, that no matter our religion we can all love and respect one another.

Yes, I completely agree! It was so amazing to read all of the respectful, loving, kind comments yesterday. What a wonderful community of runners/readers this is! I believe we really can love and respect one another. It starts with us!!

Thank you for sharing your religion with us. I’ve always felt that it really is loving to share your beliefs when they make you happy and provide comfort. I’m so glad your religion has provided you so much peace and solace!

Hi Janae,

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful and loving post. I truly enjoyed reading and am thrilled that Mormonism brings you such joy and peace!

I am curious about your stance on LGBT folks and Mormonism–from my searches on hrc.org it seems the two cannot coexist, and that people can be excommunicated from the church if they “act” on these “sins”. This is crushing for me to read, and conflicts with the overarching sense I got from your post that Heavenly Father loves unconditionally. How can some people be valued over others? How can a church deny children, siblings, loved ones, even ourselves, when we love beyond heterosexuality, or exist beyond the binary? The suffering this must cause youth and families who are not allowed within the Church is staggering to me.

You are so full of love and service, but I have found this aspect of Mormonism to be something that would make me feel unwelcome–is this something you are comfortable discussing, is it something that is often discussed in your community, or is it something you have ever been conflicted on?

Thank you so much for your vulnerability, candor, and articulation, it is much appreciated.

With gratitude,

Emily

Emily! Thank you so much for your comment! I really appreciate what you said!
I know that Heavenly Father loves all of his children fully and so do I and my church. The LGBT community absolutely can be a part of our church and you can read more about that here:
Thank you so much for reading and the above link has the best resources on this very important topic! I hope the rest of your week is wonderful!

This was a really interesting post! Especially the fact that your parents weren’t Mormon when they got married! I grew up Catholic but I was never really into it, and now I’m no longer religious at all. I just live by the golden rule (well, and other values, but it really boils down to that for me). But I think it’s nice when people have a faith that sustains and guides them. For me, it all comes down to this question: are your beliefs hurting anyone? If not, great! You’re a positive person who exudes a lot of warmth through your blog, so it seems like your religion is working for you. :)

Hi there – I just have to comment to say I think it’s refreshing to hear you share openly about how much peace your religion brings you, and how your faith has helped you. I am a practicing Catholic and tend to be a subtle sharer myself – try to set my best example & mention things I do regularly like going to mass with my family, and church activities/service opportunities. As I read your posts from time to time, it never seemed like you hid your faith at all, but it is also great to see this post too. I LOVE that family is such a huge part of your life – I believe strong families are the foundation for building strong communities. I was less active with religion in my college years, and that really had a negative impact, though makes me even more grateful for it today. Thanks for sharing a bit more today!

First, thank you for sharing your beliefs. I have great respect for your views and morals, and for what great parents you and Andrew are to your beautiful children. I would like to ask – if you are willing to answer from either a personal standpoint or a standpoint of LDS people in general – what are the thoughts of LDS people surrounding the FLDS? I would just be very curious to know what the general view of FLDS is by LDS.

Thank you, Janae, for such a beautiful post about your faith and the love for your church. We learned a lot about the Mormon church while we lived in Logan, Utah during grad school. One of the first places we visited was Temple Square where we did the tour and learned about the history of the LDS, and one of our highlights of our two years of living in Utah was attending the free Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s Christmas concert. It was AMAZING!

I’m Catholic, and like you, my faith is so important to me. Thank you again for sharing such an important part of your life.

Thank you so much for sharing. I agree that it’s important to be able to talk openly about this topic, and to respect the beliefs of others. I wanted to share my viewpoint because I haven’t seen it in the comments. Family/ my children is the most important thing in my life! My husband and I are both athiests, ethical vegans, and have strong feelings about the importance of respecting and caring for others. I have had some negative experiences with organized religion, and so much pain has been inflicted in the name of religion throughout history, which is tragic. Currently, I work in medicine, where I see terrible suffering and seeming randomness to whose prayers are “answered” and whose are not. The idea of a God is not logical to me, and I can’t imagine believing in a God that would let innocent children (or even guilty adults, for that matter) suffer in the ways they sometimes do, particularly in lesser developed countries. These are just my strong feelings. Thanks again, I really hope this did not come off as judgmental. I am happy you have found peace, comfort, and community in your religion!

Lol I get behind in blog reading and you get all good and deep on me!
I know I commented once before on a “what have you learned from HRG post” that I’ve enjoyed learning about your religion so thanks for writing a whole post about it!

I actually teared up a couple times reading this.
My family is in the process of finding a new church in our community. Fortunately there’s plenty to choose from! It’s just a process and disheartening when you think you’ve found a church home but it wasn’t….yet. We had given ourselves a break until November and your post really has me excited to try a new church this weekend!

Your comment made me so so happy. Thank you Kristen!! I hope this weekend goes perfect for you!!

This is the first time I have seen some writing clearly of her beliefs. I respect your beliefs but what most I loved about is your giving up meal for one day for charity. I too will try to implement in my own life. This charity clearly brings you more closer to your saviour. May god bless you with your family and wisdom. And yes nice family rather to say great supportive family.

Great post! I love learning about other religions and beliefs. How do you deal with religion within your blended family? Are both Knox and Brooke’s mom/dad member she of the same church or do they have different beliefs?

Hey Kels! Great question! Knox and Brooke’s mom/dad are not members of the church but both are VERY supportive of the kids being members and they come to their church programs and will come to their baptisms etc.

I’m so pleased you wrote this post! It’s always been evident from your writing that your faith is incredibly important to me, and I felt like I was missing a part of you by not knowing details about it. Of course, I’m also curious about details about LDS. I’m a Christian, and I feel very similarly to you on many things. Jesus has saved my life, and there’s a very unique contentment that comes from following him. Prayer is an amazing thing and I’ve experienced so many mini miracles through it. It’s amazing.

One question I have though: you stated you first entered a temple at 22, but your family was part of LDS before then. Is there a reason you didn’t do this before? Is there a certain age you need to reach before you’re allowed? I’m sorry if my question sounds naive, but I am naive when it comes to your religion.

Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for your question… it’s not naive at all! Usually women start going to the temple before they go on a mission or when they get married. Men start going to the temple before they go on a mission or when they get married. Although as soon as you turn 12 you are able to go to the temple to perform baptisms for the dead. Also if an adult joins our church they can start going to the temple after they have been a member for 1 year. The temple is a very sacred place and it is important to be old enough to appreciate the services. Thank you so much! I hope you have an awesome day!

Interesting. I definitely appreciate the desire for people to wait before going to the temple. A follow up question though: what do kids do while their parents are at the temple? Is there separate programming for them that teaches them about beliefs and values? And I guess, what do adults do who have joined the church but only joined in the past year? Is the temple a specific part of a building? Or is it a “service” (the way Christians would refer to it anyway). I guess I originally assumed the temple was synonymous with church.

I did not explain this very well! I am so so sorry! We all go to church once a week (and there are programs for the kids there! Everyone is welcome! The temple is something we do outside of church! Andrew and I try to go once a month when the kids are at school and we have someone to watch skye!

thank you so much for sharing! this was really brave to open up and very lovely to read. its nice to know this part of you, too, as a long long time reader! i’m catholic, and while devote, certainly not perfect. i’d say, ‘good.’ but i try to get better each year, as we all do i think. its inspiring to read everyone’s views. i’m also incredibly interested in learning about others relationships with God or whatever spirituality they pursue. super cool post, J :)