Good morning! I hope your Tuesday is off to a great start including a great workout and plenty of your favorite foods. I’m so excited to share with you what I have been doing lately for my strength training! This post is sponsored by Total Gym Fitness!
I am positive that many of you reading this post are just like me and LOVE the option to be able to work out at home. Andrew likes going to the gym but I am ALL about avoiding the extra 12.3 (yes, I have timed it) minutes that it takes to drive to the gym and then back home again after. Strength training is NECESSARY for our running especially if we want to get faster and stay injury free! Having a way to do my strength training at home is the way for me to stick with it and stay consistent!
The belly is growing… we are in the third trimester now! It feels like this pregnancy has gone by so slowly and so quick at the same time. It’s weird.
A few other reasons that I absolutely adore being able to work out at home:
1. I love being able to turn on my music as loud as I want at home and jam out to whatever weird music I am feeling that day.
2. I have a few water bottles (filled with 90% ice), snacks (yes, I am constantly hungry at this point in my life), lip gloss (I have a problem but you knew that) and everything else that I need RIGHT THERE. I always forget things when I go to the gym but at home, it is all right there. No excuses!
3. Kids. Kids. Kids. Andrew is at the hospital more and more lately so with the kids, I LOVE having the option to work out at home. I can get in a workout while they are either asleep or hanging out with me. It doesn’t matter what time it is or whatever crazy schedule I have planned for us each day.. having everything you need at home helps me to make sure I get my workout in. With the new baby on the way, I will really need a great strength training option so I can do it at home while she naps!
4. I can watch TV while I work out at home so easily. I set up the Total Gym right in front of our tv and catch up on my favorite shows. Andrew has already told me that he is not going to join me this season in watching ‘This is Us’ (he does not support how emotional that show makes me while I watch it or for the four hours following the show ending;) so I’ll be getting in my This is Us obsession while working out. Win win.
5. We have two ceiling fans and a big portable fan in the room where I have my Total Gym set-up so I don’t sweat to death like I do at the gym:)
6. Winter is coming and one of my least favorite things ever is leaving the gym with a sweaty sports bra and going outside into freezing temperatures as I walk to the car… that is just pure torture.
7. I CAN WEAR WHATEVER I WANT (you are welcome for attempting a normal outfit for these pictures) at home which I love.
I have been using the Total Gym for over a month now, get ready for all of my thoughts about it! I heard about the Total Gym previously but didn’t try it until I read about the awesome prenatal workouts that I could do on one. The fact that I could have so many great strength workouts while pregnant sold me and made me really want to try it and see how it worked for me.
I want to be able to keep running during this pregnancy and in order to do that, it is so important that I strengthen my muscles with all of the changes going on in my body. My sister (the one that has had 5 kids) has always been a huge believer in strength training throughout her pregnancies which has helped her to recover and bounce back so much quicker after she has her babies. Like usual, I want to be just like her for the 282,300th time and that is a huge motivation for me right now!
There are a few reasons why I am loving using the Total Gym while pregnant and the first one is because it is so easy on my joints. My joints and ligaments are a lot more cranky during pregnancy (thanks to the hormone relaxin) and the Total Gym keeps them happy. I love that it allows me to work my core while pregnant. They have some Youtube videos that show you exactly what exercises/workouts are safe to do while pregnant and I have been using them. Also, I can always have my body angled at a tilt when my back is on the guideboard, which I can’t always do on the benches at the gym. I feel very stabilized on the Total Gym so my clumsiness at this point of pregnancy isn’t getting in the way:)
The prenatal workouts are what initially sold me to try it out. Using it for the last month is what sold me to also use it after this pregnancy! I have gotten in some really great workouts on the Total Gym that have made me so sore (aka my goal when I’m doing strength training because that tells me it is working:).
I am loving having something that is so customizable to wherever I am at… whether that be pregnant, training hard for a marathon, needing cross-training because I’m injured or trying to gain fitness again after I have a baby. It is great for any age group. Works for someone just starting out or someone that is more advanced!
PS I originally thought this would mainly be great for my upper body and core but some of my favorite workouts have been doing lower body! These lunges that I am doing below are tough for me. You start with the guideboard at the bottom and then slide it up into the lunge position. My other favorite lower body exercises are the hamstring pulls, hip abduction, single leg squats, squats and leg pull!
Total Gym comes with an awesome guide that is so easy to follow. It shows you each different exercise you can do (there are over 80!!) along with what muscle groups you are working and the correct form. The exercises are grouped into different muscle groups so if you are wanting to focus on a specific muscle group one day, you have every exercise you need right there! It includes so many different circuit training programs which is what I have mainly been using. It also comes with awesome workout dvds for you to try along with a million different workouts on their blog and YouTube. If you don’t like putting together your own workouts, they have SO many different workouts for you to choose from that are perfect for YOU.
I love that it really doesn’t take me very long to get in a killer strength workout (usually about 10-20 minutes) with Total Gym. It works by using a percentage of your own body weight as the resistance for each exercise. You set the resistance level yourself to wherever you are at personally and your goals. It is SO smooth and so easy to move from one exercise to another without having to move weights around etc.
You can make each workout on the Total Gym as hard as you want according to the resistance level that you set.
I also love using this machine for stretching. I get in such a better stretch using the pulley cables to help me move into a deeper stretch.
Not sure what Brooke was laughing at back there in this picture but I’m sure it was one of Knox’s hilarious jokes.
We don’t have a huge house (both Andrew and I dream of having a workout room in a future house someday) so I just store my Total Gym behind the couch and it takes about 2 minutes to bring it out.
There ya have it friends! Now you know what I’ve been using as soon as I jump off the treadmill to get in my strength training and stay strong! Would love to hear about what you do!
I’ve got an INCREDIBLE offer for you——> Click HERE to order your own Total Gym Supreme for 25% off! This amazing offer includes free shipping!
What is your workout today? Give me the details!
What has been the best thing you have eaten in the last week?
At what age did you start working out consistently?
What made you start working out consistently… friend/family member’s example/a way to deal with stress/personal goals that you set? What got you moving?