Let’s take a minute to chat about Sunday!
Brooke was the first one up (well, Andrew was gone long before that)!
Knox’s morning hair makes me really happy.
We went to church and these two came home with crowns!
This might be a little premature but the kids wanted to make Halloween cookies and it sounded like a wonderful idea to me too.
They are the official decorators! I have one recipe that I LOVE for sugar cookies (I swear it is the best ever… it is a copycat recipe to Kneaders cookies).. you can find the link to it here! They are thick and soft and the flavor is amazing (I don’t add the nutmeg that the recipe calls for).
Dinner was over at my sister’s house!!
Sweet potato fries from Costco, burgers and salad… hit the spot.
After dinner I went on a walk with my sister and parents and then I was in bed by 8:30 because… yeah, I really like my bed at this point in my life.
The St. George Marathon (my favorite one:) is in less than three weeks and I have a bunch of friends running it this year! For the past three Septembers I have done the whole ‘peak week followed by a few weeks of taper’ thing to prepare for this marathon. This September I am beyond thrilled to be in the stage of life that I am in right now but it is definitely different! There are a few things that I miss about marathon training (and who knows… maybe next September I’ll be tapering for the St. George Marathon ((if my body cooperates)) so I wanted to share a few things and let me know if you can relate!
1. Training for something hard together with your friends. There is a bond that forms with your running buddies that is something else! Do hard things together = best friends forever.
2. The excuse to buy a new running outfit… I am positive my marathons are 74% more fun when I wear something new (after testing it out once on a long run before race day).
3. Marathon Training HUNGER. Weird thing to miss right?! I am not feeling very hungry lately especially at night (a bit of nausea has returned) and I’m missing that hungry feeling followed by loading up on all of the carbs that accompanies a lot of miles for me:)
4. The bus ride to the starting line… for some reason that is just my favorite. It isn’t exactly part of marathon training but there is something so fun about being on the bus driving to the start with all of these people that also paid money to go run for a very long time;)
5. 4:xx alarm clocks to get in 20 miles before the rest of the day starts… jk, I don’t miss setting my alarm clock for that time.
6. All of the chafing… oh wait, that happens more than ever now for me ha.
7. I miss having a training plan! Right now I run exactly what my body tells me to each day which is perfect for the season I am in but I miss those training plans! I miss seeing a run coming up that I think might be impossible and then proving myself wrong a few days later by accomplishing it!
8. To go along with the above one… CHECKING OFF those crazy runs. Doesn’t it feel so good to finish the hard stuff and put a check mark next to the workout. Love that feeling.
9. Seeing the adaptations that your brain and body make over the weeks with your speed and endurance. The first 4ish long runs are always a struggle for me because my body is not sure why I’m running so long.
10. Going into the taper knowing you gave it your all. Thinking back over all of the long runs, tempo miles, speedwork and time you spent dedicated to your goal and then taking it easy until race time!
PS just in case you are tapering soon:
While there are definitely things that I miss right now, it’s really nice to have a fall off from marathon training too:) I don’t miss my marathon toenail situation, some of the anxiety that comes with marathon training or feeling those pains/niggles/injuries that sometimes come along with all of those miles/speed. It’s sure nice to have a break every now and then because those breaks are what make us more hungry to hit our goals when the timing is right in the future!
Just in case you missed last week… the three most popular posts were:
And finally, an important question… I have a few face masks that I’ve used and loved but I’m wondering if you have any that you recommend with every fiber of your being. I’m craving a killer face mask or something (I know pregnancy cravings are usually for food but this counts too;).
I have an AMAZING giveaway for you on my Instagram today HERE! I am giving away a NordicTrack X22i Incline Trainer! I am obsessed with mine and I am so excited to be able to give away one! Back to school—> Back to the treadmill for me this year! I have been running before the kids wake up each morning because from there on out the rest of the day is nuts! It’s so nice to have the option to run when it is dark (and now starting to get cold) outside and I love being a few steps away from the restroom. I know that when our new little girl comes I’ll be using the treadmill to get my runs in (just like I did when Brooke was a baby:) and I can’t wait! I was provided the product and compensation in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion!
What do you miss about training when you aren’t training for a race?
What was your favorite part about your weekend?
Any face masks that you absolutely LOVE!? PLEASE SHARE!
Who is tapering right now or will be soon!?!? What is the hardest part of the taper for you?