Utah realized it was spring again and it felt so nice to be able to wear a tank top and shorts!
It’s warm enough for me to start playing around with how I want to hydrate my running this summer. I know where there are plenty of water fountains for me to stop at but I also love to just have a little something with me on the really hot days. I don’t usually bring anything on my speed days and just stop at the water fountains but I don’t mind carrying a little bottle on the easy run days.
I finished with eight miles for my morning. I was SO glad I went out because for some reason I had zero motivation when I first woke up to run. The motivation kicked in after a few minutes of running and it felt so good to be outside but it’s definitely normal to feel low motivation every now and then.
I’ve got ten things that I do to help me build up the motivation to get out to run and if these ten things don’t work then I just take a rest day because clearly my body/brain just really needs a rest day. Usually these ten things get me out the door or on the treadmill:
1. I put on some of my favorite pieces of running clothing (in today’s case, I put on my most comfortable running pieces)! I tell myself that even if I’m not going to go for a run (I always end up going…) I just need to put on my favorite running pieces. By just doing this, I all of the sudden gain some motivation.
2. I check in on Instagram! I go to some of my favorite IG runner’s pages and then go through some of their pictures/quotes and it gives me a great boost of motivation.
3. I tell myself I’m just going to go out for 15 minutes. I’ll turn back home at 7.5 minutes…. I tell myself, “I can seriously do anything for 15 minutes.” And then I get to the 7.5 minute turn around and realize I’m hungry for more miles.
4. I create a new playlist or my new favorite thing… I find a new podcast! Having something new and exciting to listen to gets me out the door pretty quickly.
5. I think about my races coming up. In order to make race day a bit more enjoyable, I’ve got to do the miles it takes to get there. I have a time goal that I’m thinking about and that sure isn’t going to happen if I don’t get out and run! PS Brooke is doing the kid’s race that same morning as my next half marathon… I cannot wait.
6. I try to remember why I run. Why do I do it? Remembering that it helps me to be a better mom, it is my favorite way to relieve stress and that I have some goals in mind really helps me to remember why I do this and to just get out there!
7. Maybe it is time to break up my routine—> I tell myself that maybe it is the monotony that is getting me to want to skip my run. I will usually switch it up by trying the trails, or a new road or by throwing in some fartleks. Switching it up even just a little bit will help me to go out and run!
8. One of my favorite tricks is to just not think about it. I just go and do it without thinking. I’ll purposely get myself to start thinking about a bigger problem or situation going on in life and before you know it, I’ve got my gear on and I’m outside with my garmin and running without much thought. Distractions are key for me:)
9. Sometimes I just have to remind myself to suck it up. The best things in life take some work and I just need to put on my big girl pants and go run. A little tough love always works for me and then I laugh about it a few miles later when I’m wondering why it was so hard for me to get out the door. Sometimes I just have to tell myself to stop the complaining and go run off whatever emotion I’m feeling that is causing me to drag that morning!
10. Eat something (don’t you love my picture of toast with butter that didn’t fully melt?)! Sometimes I just need a little extra fuel to get my body out there and ready to run. I had some cereal when I first woke up but I think I just needed some more food to help my body feel ready to run!
*Knox left this morning and we spent some time talking all about army things before he left. He told me that we really need to start practicing his army crawl.
*Brooke and I went to get a slice of pumpkin bread because she’s been asking for some for awhile now… I find it hard to make pumpkin bread in May but we will go get some:)
*PERFECT PEACHES AT TARGET TODAY. I’ve already had two. I feel like peaches aren’t usually great for a few more months but Target has made me a believer in spring peaches.
*Brooke comes into our bed in the mornings to catch up on her reading. PS she is getting pretty close to starting to read!!
*Spent some time this afternoon making little binders for Brooke and Knox’s year of preschool and projects they’ve done at home! Trying to be an organized mom which is not really in my nature but I’m trying:)
*This might be old news but WHAT?!?!?! When did the all pink bag start… maybe I’ve seen this before but this was very exciting to me today. The other flavors don’t exist to me.
*Also, Target kid running clothes… seriously the cutest. Below Brooke is trying to convince me to buy the stuffed animal by telling me how much it costs.
*Working on some Babysitting kits for the girls that I work with on Wednesday nights:) They will be putting together a bag of all of the important stuff for their babysitting.
*After our hike on Saturday Knox fell right to sleep.
*We dropped off my brother a few minutes later and then he was right back to wide awake and partying!
See you in the morning! I’m talking all about one of my favorite workouts to do and why it helps us with our running so much!
What do you do to get your behind out the door for a run when you aren’t feeling it?
Favorite flavor of Starburst? Anyone else all about the all pink variation?
What was the last piece of fruit that you had?
How is your Monday going so far?