It was the last day of school for these two!!! I cannot believe how fast the year went by (and how early they got out of school this year;). They have a graduation next week and then we are on to splash pads, swimming pools and testing out each shaved ice stand in the city in order to find the best one.
While they were having their last day, Beretta came on a run with Andrew and me. I wish you could see the smile on Beretta’s face… it motivated me to get started running and to smile.
Running with Beretta on a leash is not our favorite (we need to train her better) so we usually just go somewhere where there isn’t anybody else. We bring the leash just in case we come across somebody but usually we don’t. She is good at staying close to us… look at her tongue!!!
I did find a random running shoe along the path. How does one misplace their running shoe while out on a run or walk? I’m not sure.
Positive Mind, Positive Vibes. While I was running I was remembering how I used to teach my health students about expectations and outcomes. What we expect to happen is more likely to happen (i.e. if we expect to do well in a race, we probably will… if we expect to do bad, odds are it’s not going to go great). I would always show them the scene on Space Jams where Roger Rabbit gave them ‘Michael’s Secret Stuff’ that was really just water;) They expected it to help them and to do well so they went out and won the game (after being way behind). Of course that is just a cartoon but positive attitudes work in real life too. That was quite the tangent but I just love thinking about how powerful our brains are and how much they determine the road up ahead for all of us.
After school the kid’s wanted a park day. It was EIGHTY degrees outside!!!
Break dancing happening later on in the day. They are getting rather good at it.
For dinner we had our favorite meal kit delivery service. Then we took it outside for our family night.
Some times I really do think that Beretta is the most loved member in our family.
I’ve got a few Friday Favorites to share with you today (I do have a few affiliate links included)!!!
2. Pears. I forget about these sometimes. Brooke had one at a friend’s house and after that she reminded us 400 times that we needed some so we bought some and now none of us can stop eating them.
3. I just got hooked on a new book (well, I’m only 6% in to it). I have to admit, I am easily entertained when it comes to television, life and books but so far this one has me excited. I never watched this show (I guess it is on tv) but a friend told me to check it out and I’m liking it. Big Little Lies.
4. Dole Whip Floats. Just like the ones at Disneyland. If you live in Utah, go to Provo Beach Resort to find this goodness… I hate to say this and I might regret it later but I think I like this better than ice cream.
5. Jarrelle sent me this article, “Mommy, Do You Want to Be Skinny?” and it was awesome—> “Because of my Mommy, I never gave up.”
6. This shirt has been another spring favorite and somehow my brilliant mother got out the huge pink stain that I somehow managed to get all over the front of it. Yes, my mother still gets out the bad stains because I swear she is magic.
7. “Meet America’s Fastest “Running Nerd”—> This is about Olympian Jared Ward (finished 6th at the Olympic Marathon in Rio) and he lives in our county! About his mustache—> “I only shave it on Christmas and my wife’s birthday. I wouldn’t dare race without it. For one, nobody would recognize me. And I don’t know what would happen. There’s no data for that.” hahaha!
Keep your Running Accomplishments coming in!!! I love reading about everything that you are doing! Send them in [email protected] !!!
The first one is about my nieces and I wanted to post this:) These two rocked it at the National Archery Tournament!!!
Laura!!!! “I’ve been a reader for years and have always wanted to run but I was convinced I couldn’t. Not in shape, too big, any number of excuses. This January, I tried running for a minute and broke down in tears because it was “too hard”. My stubborn streak broke out and I became determined to start running. Without being able to do a full run around the block, I signed up for the Pittsburgh half marathon in May. I trained through cold and snow and mainly against my own mental blocks. I got very sick and missed two weeks of training. I switched jobs and lost training time. But I kept going, determined to make it over the line. And then I decided to run the “Steel Challenge”, which was a 5k on Saturday and the half on Sunday. Go big or go home, right? Race weekend came and I actually PR’d the 5k due to adrenaline and the rush of crowd support. ON the morning of the half, I was complete nerves. We started the race, my husband beside me to motivate me and push me to the end. A little over a mile into it, I tripped on one of Pittsburgh’s famous potholes and fell hard, messing up my left ankle, right knee and elbow. But I was determined. I kept running. I walked when I had to and walked more than I wanted to. But I ran. And most importantly, I finished. 2:51:43. Not a great time, but a great starting point and a time I thought impossible a few months ago and even that morning when I hit the pavement. I’m working on recovery now and already making plans for future races. I am a runner!”
Ashley!!! “I started running about 6 years ago, but if you were to ask me I didn’t really begin to see myself as a runner until this year. My husband is a gifted athlete and he comes from a running family. His brother has run a 2:32 marathon and was sponsored by Brooks, his dad has run XX marathons and my sister in law runs marathons in the 7:XXs herself. Needless to say they are all stars and I have always ‘just’ been a middle of the packer. Well… this last year I’ve really focused on balancing my own life and health and was finally able to see progress in my running. I went from a 2:15 half marathon to a 1:56 half marathoner this year at the beautiful Three Creeks Half Marathon here in Denver. I can’t even being to say how strong I felt after that race and have never been more excited about where running will take me:). Even if I am still a middle of the packer I’m darn proud of it!!! Join me at Colorado.Ash on instagram where I share my silly stories and ups and downs of running and living the mountain lifestyle.”
Would love to hear if you have any Friday Favorites!!
What are your Friday night plans?
What are you currently reading?!
Would you rather have ice cream, froyo, Dole Whip or other frozen treat?!