Brooke was much more interested in watching the Boston Marathon than looking up to take a picture. I get it Brooke.
Watching the marathon while running was amazing. I was planning on running 7 miles but decided that I would just run until the elites finished. I finished with 10 miles and I think they completed about 18 miles in the time that I did my 10 miles;) Andrew was next to me on the treadmill, he is in 1/2 marathon training right now wahoo!
Ten things I wanted to talk about concerning the marathon:)
1. Edna Kiplagat took first for the women and seeing two of her kids at the finish line gave me all of the goosebumps and I teared up. She finished in 2:21:52 (Rose Chelimo finished in 2:22:51) and looked so strong even in the end. Edna is 37 years old and sounds like an amazing person. She has adopted three children (two from her sister that died and one from her neighbor that passed away too) so she now has 5 children. She is a Kenyan policewoman and every thing that I’ve heard about her just makes me so happy for her.
2. JORDAN HASAY!!! She finished third at Boston and this was her DEBUT marathon! Her first marathon! This is the fastest American debut (and the fourth fastest American women’s marathon time ever)! I loved watching her and she looked so strong throughout the marathon. Absolutely amazing. Jordan lost her mother this last November unexpectedly and dedicated the race to her. “The marathon is a very emotional event, and I tried to stay as relaxed as possible.”
3. Des Linden took 4th for the women in 2:25:06. I’m always rooting for her. She just seems so real and down to earth while she works so ridiculously hard to reach her dreams. “Let’s focus on this mile right now and get it done.” Love her instagram account and all of her quotes.
4. Seemed like a hot day but not as hot as previous years… I think personally the headwind that I had w/ 40 degree weather a few years ago would have been easier for me personally than doing a marathon in 75 degrees.
5. 500,000 + fans out there cheering along the course—> LOVE THAT!
6. Geoffrey Kirui took first place! Kirui did a 4:27 mile for mile 24… the fastest mile of the day! At mile 24. Absolutely amazing. He is 24 years old and finished in 2:09:37. He earns $150,000 for the win! This was his third marathon ever and first Boston.
7. Galen Rupp looked SO comfortable (until the very end). It looked as though he was just out for a training run but instead he was running a 2:09:58 marathon. He was neck and neck with the winner until about mile 23 when Kirui broke away!
8. Jared Ward (from my neck of the woods) finished in 2:15:28 and took 10th place! I was definitely cheering him on and I was excited to see him in the top 10!
9. When Edna accidentally grabbed the wrong water bottle she took it back to the water table and then went on to get her water bottle at the next table. I thought that was incredible sportsmanship to take the bottle back so that whoever’s water bottle she grabbed would still be able to get it. One of the announcers said, “Don’t dwell on what is going right” after this happened and I completely agree!
10. Meb took 13th place and at 41 years old he finished in 2:17:00. He is the happiest person and his smile makes me smile every time. He says that this will be his last competitive time running Boston! He was the 2014 winner of the Boston Marathon and I think that is still my favorite finish of this marathon yet!
Now let’s talk about some Monday Matters!
*Post-run egg sandwich. I forgot that english muffins existed and then Andrew brought some home and I’m hooked on them again.
*Lunch involved leftovers from Easter. A base of rice, some lettuce/veggies, guac and then leftover roast cooked again in taco seasoning and salsa. Ranch dressing added after the picture.
*Brooke is a big fan of rice, don’t know how it ended up all over her face but whatever floats her boat.
*Knox’s favorite part of going to soccer games right now is playing with the girls on the sidelines after playing… he is quite the ladies man;)
*I walked downstairs the other day to find Andrew very focused on a pedicure for Brooke. She is very lucky to have him.
*Still chipping away at the studying:) Brooke makes sure to help me and point out the important things in her opinion.
*I guess Beretta gets first choice of where to sleep on the bed and the kids just try to fit around her;)
*This flavor… it’s amazing. Just in case you missed my story a few weeks ago about Halo Top—> Andrew went to the store with the kids one night while I was at something and I asked him to pick me up a Halo Top. He came home with 20 of them:) There was a sale and so now we have a freezer full of this stuff!
*Last week the kids somehow talked us in to hitting up the arcade. I’m glad that for 14 dollars we were able to get two candy necklaces and two rings with the tickets that they earned;)
*This post was brought to you by the help of Brooke until her friend came over and they were too busy playing with stuffed animals.
Have any Monday Matters to share? I would love to hear them!
Did you watch the marathon today? Any thoughts from watching?
Ever had Halo Top… what is your favorite flavor?
What was your breakfast this morning?