After my pool run yesterday I jumped on an elliptical and lasted a full 5 minutes. Flashback to before I started training for my first marathon—> I was in an elliptical obsession phase. I would get on the thing Monday-Saturday for SEVENTY minutes (unless I taught spin that day then I would add the elliptical to the spin time to equal 70 minutes). I never veered from it, I had my favorite elliptical and I would buckle down and get to work. Strength training wasn’t even a thought either. And then I was talked into signing up for a marathon and my aunt sent me a training plan that had me running 4 days a week. I quit doing the elliptical and switched over to running. My training plan had me running 30 minutes some days, really long on other days and a lot more rest days than I was used to. I quickly realized that I LOVE the variety of running and training for a race. I love the easy/hard variation, the distance change each day and the fact that the pace varies GREATLY over the course of each week. Some say running is monotonous but I think it is quite the opposite with how different each run can be. So, long story short—> marathon training opened my eyes to my deep love for variation in my workouts. I don’t think I could ever go back to doing the exact same workout every single day.
1. 40 minutes of pool running with a bunch of 30 seconds hard followed by 30 seconds easy on repeat. I just started Serial Season 2 because I need one more thing to be hooked to and the time flew by.
PS has anyone ever tried the Jacobs Ladder before? I haven’t but my sister told me that it is a KILLER workout.
2. It snowed pretty much the entire day.
3. I made this baller lunch of a turkey burger topped with zucchini, peppers and spinach (cooked in coconut oil) with a baked sweet potato.
4. A matinee with my mom, nephew, Brooke and popcorn. Kung Fu Panda 3 for the win.
5. We started to check out some stores for Brooke’s new room… time for the real deal kind of a bed and dresser.
She was pretty set on this chair.
6. She had the whole place to herself… I guess most people don’t hang out at the play place on Saturday nights.
7. We went straight from the slides to a heavenly dinner. What is it about fluffy carbohydrates that makes me so happy?
8. Picked up this little beauty because we have a very important birthday to celebrate tomorrow (my sister’s little man)!!
9. And then back home to play with legos and to change straight into my run-thru pants and the run-thru jacket. The beauty of these items is that they are mesh (to keep you nice and cool with great ventilation while working out) but they also have a DriLayer Burst layer on the inside of both the top and the bottoms that is crazy soft on your skin. A thick waistband and semi-fitted on the pants makes me never want to take them off. The jacket will be great for spring running with the retroreflectivity and because it is water-resistant on the top half and the fact that it is crazy light—> you can barely feel it on ya;)
10. Oh yeah, and Brooke found a giant rose to sword fight with.
Three things you have going on today?!
Do you need variety or do you like doing the same workout every day? Ever had a time in your life where you stuck to the same workout every single day?
Anyone else listening to Season 2 of Serial?