I thought I would write a little love/thank you note to running for the things that it has given me since it is National Running Day! PS Check out Brooks’ blog and share your #thankyourunning moments—> make sure to tag @BrooksRunning.
Thank you running for giving me…
1. A reason to eat bagels at 5 a.m. (my favorite fuel before a long run or race).
2. Gratitude for the people and blessings in life.
3. A sport that doesn’t take a lot of coordination because I do not have any… aka why I was cut from most sports teams in high school.
4. A way to exercise and stay healthy that I actually really enjoy doing.
5. Thanx for giving me some much needed healing during my divorce. There’s nothing like crying while sweating it out as you are running to help you to feel better. It cleanses you.
6. A reason to buy loads of workout gear and shoes.
7. Energy. It will never make sense to me why I have loads more energy on the days that I run vs the days that I do not.
8. A strong body that has learned to endure, to move my legs as fast as they can go and to build mental strength over the many many miles.
9. A constant in life when everything else in life seems to be always changing:)
10. A job that I absolutely love to do —> writing a blog about running (and food and randomness and my strange life).
11. Fun memories with Brooke—> pushing her in the jogging stroller when she was just a little thing and now spending time together at the track.
12. The memorization of 1,000s of songs. I am sure that all of these lyrics take up a lot of my brain space but I listen to so much music while I run and the lyrics are engrained in me forever now.
13. Some of my very best friends. There is just something crazy bonding about running and accomplishing hard workouts together.
15. A clear mind and a better perspective about things.
16. Some pretty sweet sock tan lines and garmin tan lines.
17. Thanks for giving me some life lessons that help me during the really rough times… like to remember to put one foot in front of the other, to keep moving forward and that I can do hard things.
18. Thanks running for giving me the chance to get out in nature and the mountains to explore.
19. Goals and teaching me that it takes a lot of time, work and dedication to reach these goals.
20. The opportunity for weekend race getaways to see a new city or area.
21. Patience. For some reason once I get my run in I am able to have so much more patience with everything else in life.
22. ‘Me’ time. We all need a little time for ourselves in order to take care of the others.
23. Social hour in the early morning hours. A way that we can sweat, share and learn from each other before most people are out of bed (especially on Saturday mornings).
24. The opportunity to carb load and carb load often (aka the entire 16 weeks of marathon training). Pizza 4 lyfe.
25. Thanks running for giving me that ‘I’m so ridiculously hardcore’ feeling after finishing a track workout, getting to the top of a steep hill or finishing a run in the rain/snow/cold/heat.
PS National Donut Day is on Friday… and as Alanis Morissette would say, “Isn’t it ironic… don’t you think?”
On the rare occasion that I do wash my hair, Brooke plants herself next to the bathroom while I blow-dry my hair. She brushes, styles and adds bows to all of her dogs.
I had a date last night with my mom and dad for some chicken green chile salads. My sister introduced these to us back when I was in high school and we have loved them ever since.
The best part has to be the warm tortilla folded up in the tinfoil that comes with the salad.
We walked next door to Rocky Chocolate Mountain Factory for a rocky road apple to share. Apples are good for you and so are nuts so this had to have been a super healthy dessert.
I think this baby needs a close-up.
Brooke had a wardrobe change and then played in the splash pad. You know it is a good day when you get to wear a swimsuit twice in one day.
I think it is quite fitting that my PureGrit 4s arrived in the mail just in time for National Running Day. What better way to celebrate than a beautiful pair of shoes?!? I can’t wait to test these babies out on the trails! I will give you a full review after I get some good use in them!
What has running given you?
How are you going to celebrate National Running Day?
Favorite caramel apple toppings?!
Parents reading—> what are some of your favorite activities to do with your kiddos during the summer?