Do you ever do dynamic stretches before your runs? I never did until my coach told me to and ever since then I have been doing them before any hard workouts (i.e. track workouts, tempo runs etc). PS dynamic stretching means to stretch in motion. Static stretching = holding a position/stretch.
So why do them? Dynamic stretching can really help you with your range of motion. They can help to strengthen your core, mobility and stability muscles too! They help to prepare your joints and muscles for movement (which is especially beneficial before a fast run I think). They also loosen up your muscles which I especially love. Dynamic stretches wake me up if I am doing an early morning run and help me to go into my run more alert:)
Runner’s Connect said about dynamic stretching—> ‘It’s just five minutes people! Believe me, it will create focus, readiness, and mark the beginning of fewer injuries and improved running performance.” (Dynamic Stretching: A Warm-up Routine to Reduce Injury and Improve Performance)
Here are the ones that I have been doing lately but there are a million more that you could do also like—> walking lunges, leg swings, side lunges, inchworms, leg lifts, 1/2 squats etc.
I do these for about 50 meters (for the high knees, butt kickers and skips I do 100 meters)
1. Figure 4.
2. High Knees.
3. Butt kickers.
4. Skips. Brooke loves watching me do these.
5. Arm circle swings. Just trying to look like a windmill. I do these for about 15 seconds and then switch directions.
6. Walking straight line kicks. This really helps to wake up my hamstrings and I attempt to reach the opposite hand to the toe as I go.
7. Side shuffle. I stay in a half-squat while shuffling to the right for 50 meters and then to the left for 50 meters.
Just some salmon, roasted broccoli and bread with almond butter on my lunch plate today.
We’ve been working hard with some markers over here.
Here’s the playlist that I used for my 1/2 Marathon last Saturday! I try to not listen to music for the whole race but here are the songs I did jam out to:)
Immortals by Fall Out Boy
Jigga What/ Faint (clean) JAY Z & Linkin Park
Fight Song by Rachel Platten
Not Afraid by Eminem
Lips Are Movin by Meghan Trainor
I’m So Sorry Imagine Dragons
Stronger by Kanye West
I Lived by One Republic
Us by Regina Spektor (this is me and Brooke’s song so I love to run to it too:)
Friction by Imagine Dragons
Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon
Misery Business by Paramore
300 Violin Orchestra by Jorge Quintero
Du hast by Rammstein
See You Again by Wiz Khalifa
And now time for your daily dose of randomness.
1. Some peeps have asked about the tank that I wore for my 1/2 marathon. HERE IT IS. I love the high neckline and low back. Crazy soft material. Lulu tanks last for YEARSSSSSS…. that is why I think they are worth the investment.
2. Looks like I need another 6.5 donuts because of Saturday’s race.
3. Speaking of donuts… If you are going for the ‘favorite aunt title’ I highly suggest using donuts to help you to get there.
4. My parents went on a little getaway to the beach. I’m so glad they got to have a mini vacation… they are the two hardest working people I know.
5. This sign was at the race on Saturday. Somebody’s already a little bit excited….
6. Eating dried fruit right now as I am talking to you. The 3 pm slump is real and this stuff seems to help.
Got any randomness to share with me today?
What time in the afternoon do you (if you do) feel the slump?
What was your lunch?
What type of stretching do you do?