I had a reason for making this face for my selfie but now I can’t remember. I am guessing it is a picture of me being shocked that I just did 12 x .5 mile repeats really really early yesterday morning and that I didn’t push the snooze button a million times before getting up.
This was the workout for the day! 12 miles total. 3:02 average for the 12 800’s. Progress.
Time for some tips for speedwork. Add to my tips in the comments por favor!
1. Take out the word CAN’T leading up to your speedwork session and during your workout. I am a big believer in self-fullyling prophesies and the more you tell yourself you can’t possible do it, the more likely you are to not be able to do them. Pay attention to your thoughts and remove the negative ones. Don’t set yourself up to fail.
2. Stay in the interval. I tell you this one a lot because it is my favorite. Don’t you dare think about how many more that you have to do… just do one at a time and before you know it, you will be done.
3. Listen to some angry music. Okay, this one just might be for me.
4. Stop with the stalling. This is one that my good friend Rachelle (umm… she has a pr of 1:17 for the 1/2 marathon) taught me. Stop putting it off and just go and do it. Don’t take a longer recovery (i.e. 10 drinks/bathroom/tie your shoe 40 times/talk to everyone around you/call your mom) than you need. Don’t spend a bunch of time talking and stalling. Don’t keep coming up with reasons to push your workout back or things that you need to do before your next interval, just get out there and do it without taking forever to think about it.
5. Don’t worry about your warm-up/cool-down/recovery paces. You are out there to do the speed work. In order to hit your speed work goal times then feel free to take your warm-up etc nice and easy. I would much rather hit my goal paces for those 800 m’s and take my recoveries at a true recovery pace (yesterday I did them at 6.0 mph) than do my warm-up etc at a faster pace and get too tired from that and not hit my goal interval times.
6. Do some pre-workout drills (from my MY COACH) to help your body get warmed up and ready to run fast!
7. Eat some carbs and protein within 30-60 minutes of finishing your workout. Do what you can to help your body recover fast from working so hard by giving it what it needs to repair itself. None of this… ‘but I got too busy to eat something after my speedwork’ stuff. Too bad. Eat anyway.
8. Wear shoes and clothing that make you feel fast. I have a hard time running fast in anything but a tank top and shorts (I will if I have to but I just feel faster in shorts) when I am doing speedwork. Wear shoes that you know are going to help you be a speeding bullet. Purple just makes me feel fast.
9. Go into your speedwork knowing that it is going to be hard and it is going to be WORK… BUT save your racing legs for race day. Hold back a tiny bit and don’t push yourself to your max. Save that for your race. Just give 85-90%…not 110%.
10. Goals. Goals. Goals. Goals. Think about them a lot during your speedwork. Realize that the workout that you are doing is going to make it so that you can get those goals that you have set for race day. Hurting (from speedwork… not from an injury) on the track/road/treadmill during your hard workouts is going to make race day hurt a little less:)
After my speedwork Brooke kept saying, ‘you can’t catch me’ as she was running through the mall. She was 100% right. I couldn’t keep up.
An entire avocado a day on your turkey burger salad keeps the doctor away and a smile on your face.
How Brooke attacked the Valentine chocolate bear that my mom gave her—> she went for the eyes, nose, hands, legs and ears first and left the rest for me.
Happy birthday to the world’s best Dadio. I hope you have the best day ever Dad!!!
(From when Brooke first met my dad)
Feel free to check out my latest Women’s Running article about running form HERE!
What are your tips for conquering speedwork?
What shoes/running clothes do you feel fastest in?
What aspects of your running form are you working on?
If you could eat any meal in the entire world right this second… what would it be?
-I just want an entire bbq chicken deep dish pizza right this second from some famous pizza place. Is that too much to ask?