Remember how this blog used to be just about running/fitness/food and now I write about whatever I have been thinking about lately and I probably overshare a little too much?
Yeah. Sorry about that.
Winter is here and I think most of us notice our moods changing a little bit during the cold and dark months (unless you live in the ‘sunny year round places’). I wanted to make a list for myself of ways to enjoy the winter months rather than spending the next few months counting down the seconds until spring.
Basically these are things that I think are going to work for me to help me to keep up my fitness (I have been sleeping in a lot more lately and skipping my runs) and keep up my happiness when it is freezing outside.
1. Think to THANK. This is the number one thing that I have been doing to keep positive. It is so easy to get caught up on dwelling on the hard parts of life but there really is so much to be thankful for. When I focus on all of the things I don’t have or things that I have been going through = an awful day. When I appreciate all of the absolutely incredible things I have in my life (which is easy to do… besides that whole divorce thing;) my whole world is a lot brighter.
2. Get outside. Yes, it is cold but we need to get outside. Even if it is just for a few minutes to walk the dog… there is just something so amazing about being outside that is good for our souls.
3. Exercise. You knew I was going to talk about this one. What better way to combat the winter blues than with a sweaty workout each day. Getting that blood flowing and getting yourself out of the house will help to feel better. Keep up with your training. Runners DON’T hibernate.
3a. Hit up the gym. If you have never been to a spin class before I really think that you should. I went to a lunch time spin class today and it was incredible. She even had us do some weights while on the bike.
My dad used to walk 5 miles a day outside but now that it is so freezing he goes walking in the mall early in the morning (it is open for walkers early!). I go walking in the mall but mainly just back and forth from J Crew to Carters.
4. Eat better. I am the last person on this planet that would advise anyone to cut out treats/desserts or give advice on nutrition but I think it is important (and I’m working on it) to eat more vegetables/fruits/whole grains. I am a fan of filling your body with a lot of vegetables and nutrients…. and then your favorite treats (i.e. diet coke and 7 Layer Bars). I notice a difference in my mood when I don’t include ‘healthy’ foods in my diet. We were just made to feel good when we eat good foods.
5. Simplify. De-stress this holiday season. You don’t actually have to do it all… simplify your to do list for the holidays and allow yourself some time to breathe. And go to yoga. Or sit by the heater with your sister all the day (yes, Brooke is the one that gave us the idea to do this).
And those are my 5 main ways (I am sure you have heard all of them a million times before) to enjoy the winter.
And a few more include: watch hilarious movies, eat chocolate (I promise it works), spend time with family/friends/random people that make you happy, service, read HRG (jk), get an incredibly warm blanket that makes you excited to go home to and cuddle up with, take hot baths (please tell me you like baths), read, book a vacation somewhere warm and the list goes on and on and on.
Added bonus: Looking at pictures of Brooke on a daily basis is proven to make the cold/winter days better.
Or you can watch videos where Brooke is laughing all of the time too.
I hope your December is going great so far and that you are staying warm!!!