The Jacobs’ Camping Trip

Brooke’s second camping trip was a success.  I always worry that I am not going to sleep very well when we are camping but nope, once I hit the pillow (actually we forgot pillows) I don’t move until it starts getting light in the morning.

DSC 3526  1

I know, I know, that face below is just too much.  You just want to eat those cheeks.  It’s okay to admit it.

We ended up having about 30 friends at the campsite and we weren’t technically right on the beach but pretty darn close.

The ocean was just on the other side of the trees.  I think I must have dropped some of my s’more on Brooke’s glove or something because she could not stop chewing on it.

The greatest part about going car camping compared to going backpacking is that the food is way better. When we go backpacking we eat oatmeal and soup.  With car camping we have a full on barbecue.   Eating food outside is awesome and eating around a camp fire just makes it that much better.

She is clearly mine judging by her love for Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce.  I am embarrassed at the rate I go through those bottles and some of the foods that I put it on is just plain old weird.

I will be the first to admit that my marshmallow roasting skills were not the best but I was holding Brooke and roasting the marshmallow at the same time and this is the best I could do.  I feel like I need to redeem myself and retry my marshmallow roasting this week to prove that I am usually really good at making the perfect one.

DSC 3568  1

Billy and I went to bed first out of the group at 11 pm because I honestly don’t think I could force myself to stay up one minute later than that if I wanted.  Bangs Friend texted me at 5:25 to see if we were still on for our run and I am amazed that we went out and did it even though we were camping.  I guess that shows our deep love for the run, especially the Saturday morning run.

We came back and had a feast of fruit, cinnamon rolls (made in a dutch oven!) and the best egg scramble ever also made in the dutch oven.  That dutch oven produces some amazing things.

——————————————————————————–

Are you a camper? Do you enjoy going camping?  Last place you went camping?

Do you prefer sweet breakfasts or savory/egg type breakfasts?

Does it feel like summer where you are?  Parents reading:  are your kids out of school yet for the year?

You May Also Like

91 comments

i’m usually into sweet things for breakfast, but anything that involves carbs is mine! looks like a fun camping trip… i need to buy a dutch oven so i can make those cinnamon rolls

Oh, camping is fab. We sometimes do road trips through France and Spain :) And I miss the sea – I haven’t been to the coast in ages. Short version: I wish I was camping by the sea! In th UK there are still six and a half weeks of term left! (I’m a teacher) Summer hasn’t really arrived yet :(

Wow cinnamon rolls while camping. You know how to do it gourmet style! I always have pancakes when I’m “camping” aka living on our boat. S’mores are the best. I’ve been known to make them on the gas stove. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I’m not much of a camper, unless I have a really comfy camper to sleep in! But with the looks of your food, I just may be able to hang with you guys. I love Brooke’s little coat. It is definitely feeling like summer, here in Texas. Kids got out of school last week and we are headed to Florida tomorrow!

Looks like so much fun!! I have actually never been camping!

I’m a sweet oatmeal type of breakfast girl. But that’s also probably because I don’t like eggs. Cereal and oats FTW.

Happy Sunday, Janae!

I am not a camper. I did go a few times in college but those days are over. I think I would rather stay in a hotel and join the campers at site during the day (as my aunt does on every annual camping trip – I haven’t taken part in one in ages.)

It definitely feels like summer – hot, sunny, and beautiful. I went to my college’s commencement ceremonies yesterday as I’m on the alumni council so even though it’s felt like summer for awhile…..there’s something about commencement that just makes the feeling more real.

I like a touch of something sweet but an overall savory dish. A small baked good next to a plate of scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and sauteed veggies with insane amounts of ketchup is basically my favorite breakfast ever. Why are eggs and potatoes so satisfying???

I went camping with my parents when I was younger and had too many traumatic experiences to ever do it again. (1) a thunderstorm hit the mountains we were in and a tree was hit by lightning and fell away from our tent; it could have hit our tent if it had fallen the opposite direction! (2) camping at the Pendleton Rodeo where drunken “cowboys” kept stepping on our tent and yelling. (3) the mountains got so cold that our warm breath caused condensation and the tent started “raining” on us so we couldn’t sleep!

Janae,
your camping trip looked so fun and the camping food looked amazing! I am curious how Brooke sleeps while camping? We are thinking about taking our 1 year old camping, but are nervous about her falling asleep in the tent. She sleeps in her crib, in her room every night so I don’t know if she would just go to sleep with us in a tent. Any advice?

Yes, haha. I was going to say exactly the same thing!

Hey! Brooke always sleeps in her crib too but slept fine in the tent! Just get them tired enough and they will sleep anywhere! It is so fun to take them camping! You should definitely do it!

the camp site is lovely – where did you go?

It was at half moon bay!

I like sweet breakfasts! It looks cold where you were camping! It’s finly starting to feel like summer here- even though we still have 2 weeks of school left!

Not much of a camper, but I think I would be if it were camping on the BEACH! Sounds fantastic and I nearly woke everyone up in the house AWwwwww-ing at that shot of Brooke. What a face!

We love to camp and are heade north to camp this weekend for a triathalon my husband is signed up for. I had to go gluten free recently so food will be a little bit of a challenge, but it will still be good!

I love the adventures you go on! I am now super hungry.

Last day of school yesterday !
Who was the chef of the egg scramble? Were there potatoes in there? I need that recipe.
I need sweet and savory at breakfast. If I have pancakes I have to have a piece of bacon, eggs and a piece of jelly toast.

I had literally forgotten how much fun it is to go camping with a ton of friends. Looking back, those are some of my most memorable nights from all of my college years!
Smores are my absolute favorite dessert of all time… and that’s saying some thing coming from me :)

Much of our summer will be spent camping. We have trips planned to: Causey Reservoir area, Bruneau Dunes, Plymouth WA (McNary Dam area), Canyonlands NP area, Escalante, and Zions. Oh, and Bear Lake in 2 weeks for the Bear Lake Monster ride.

We also picked up a tremendous deal on dutch ovens recently!

I used to go camping all the time when I was a kid! I seriously miss it, some of my best memories were of camping week. And 90% of the time my breakfasts are a mix of sweet and savoury.

I used to love camping when I was younger, but I’m not honestly sure how well I’d take to it now. The last time I went was something like 5 years ago, and it was super cold so it wasn’t the most pleasant experience. And speaking of cold, it’s actually not looking too much like summer around here… it’s been pretty cloudy and rainy lately, but it’s supposed to clear up soon. As for breakfast, it’s gotta be sweet – need to start the day on a good note :D

Brooke is just to adorable!!! The picture of her sitting on the ground is a cherished moment one!!! Never been beach camping …. We own a cottage or where I live we call it a camp… Looks like fun though!!!

Oh I LOVE camping and I haven’t been in SO long! So so long! I want to go RIGHT NOW! And Brooke is insanely cute. Seriously, I don’t even know how that’s legal.

I love camping!! However, I went a couple weeks ago (in a teeny tiny town in NC) and it poured down rain the whole time–I did not love that.