When we first decided to move to San Jose for Billy’s law school I was really nervous. I couldn’t even look at my nieces and nephews and think about moving away from them because I would end up in tears. I couldn’t imagine living more than 10 minutes away from my mom and missing our lunches and froyo trips. I was really anxious about trying to meet new friends and adjust to a baby, move and Billy being crazy busy with school all at the same time.
I miss my family and Utah friends like crazy (and always will.. we are planning on staying in California forever) and have had a few breakdowns about being away from them but I actually really love it here and somehow my family is surviving without me (I was really worried about that;)
Here are my top 10 favorite things about living in California.
1. Brooke came right when I moved here so maybe that is why I love it here so much. Her and Billy have Ca birth certificates, I feel a little left out. Don’t mind my morning hair and my inside out shirt.
2. Year round running weather on my outdoor treadmill or on the awesome 10 mile trail less than a mile from my house. Added bonus is there are a trillion races here and I also want to try out some trail races too!
3. Billy loves Santa Clara University. He enjoys his classes, loves reading about all of the cases and loves the beautiful campus he goes to every day.
4. Somehow I have already made really good friends… my mom must be paying them big bucks.
5. Trader Joes, Trader Joes, T.R.A.D.E.R. J.O.E.S. I know it is annoying to hear about this store from every food blog on the planet but I really love that store. Brooke and I go there just to walk around and look at things more than I would like to admit.
6. Our apartment. It is tiny but I kind of like it like that and it is so nice cooking in a real kitchen and not our old one that was built in 1908.
7. People want to come visit us here because there are so many fun things to do close by. PS one of my very best friends is coming in ONE MONTH from today to visit us!
8. I have been able to survive without Cafe Rio in my life (that caused major anxiety when I thought about moving away from Utah) because there are a ton of really awesome, delicious places to eat.
9. The avocados alone are worth the move… they are really good here. Oh and also the It’s-It factory is close by! PS I finished off the bag of butterscotch chips that used to be in the spot in the freezer and I just put in a bag of sour patch kids to see if they are good frozen.
10. Living super close to the airport (Dear Brother, you better always stay a pilot so that I can fly home using buddy passes) to go back and see these rascals.
What are some of your favorite things about where you live?
Who reading this lives in California or has lived here in California in the past?
How often do you go back home?
-Part of the agreement for me moving away from the family was that I get to go home at least every other month (maybe I should tell Billy about this agreement that we had).